These 12 Mixtapes of Christmas have got nothing to do with Randophonic’s other 12 Mixtapes of Christmas from two years ago, or even with Christmas (beyond being a gift to you). And they’re not actually mix tapes, or CDs for that matter – just mixes, each 49-minutes long, one posted to Randophonic’s Mixcloud for each day of Twelvetide (aka the Twelve Days of Christmas).
There’s no particular genre, no particular theme or agenda being pursued, beyond all selections coming from Randophonic’s ever expanding collection of used vinyl, which continues to simultaneously draw us back and propel us forward (sonically speaking) — music and noise and whatever else the world famous Randophonic Jukebox deems (or perhaps dreams) necessary toward our long term goal of solving all the world’s problems.
Bottom line: it’s five hundred eighty-eight minutes of music covering all manner of ground, from Roy Orbison to Curtis Mayfield to Can, Bob Dylan, Manfred Mann’s Earth Band, Kraftwerk, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band and beyond (and that’s just from the first mix) — anything and everything, as long as it’s good.
The Final Countdown* is Randophonic’s longest and, if we’re doing it right, most relevant countdown yet – the end of result of a rather convoluted process that’s still evolving such is the existential nature of the project question: the 1297 Greatest Records of All Time right now right here. Whatever that means. What it means is dozens of radio programs if all goes to plan, and when has that ever happened?
Installment #21 went like this:
896. Jonsi vs Tiesto – kaleidoscope ne
895. Drugstore – el presidente
894. Boo Radleys – wish I was skinny
893. Wire – I am the fly
892. Magnetic Fields – All My Little Words
891. Dusty Springfield – no easy way down
890. Prince – pop life
889. Grateful Dead – box of rain
888. Age Rings – Caught Up in the Sound
887. Blur – trimm trabb
886. Gorky’s Zygotic Mynci – Spanish Dance Troupe
885. Van Morrison – the way that young lovers do
884. Arno – knowing me knowing you
883. Howlin’ Wolf – moanin’ at midnight
882. Dub Syndicate – stoned immaculate
881. Material – memory serves
880. MGMT – Siberian breaks
879. Sally Oldfield – water bearer
978. National Health – squarer for Maud
Tracks can be found on this Youtube playlist (not entirely accurate).
Randophonic airs pretty much every Saturday night, starting 11 pm (Pacific time) c/o CiTR.FM.101.9, with streaming and/or download options usually available within twenty-four hours via our Facebook page.